Receiving help at home can improve your wellbeing and help you stay independent. With regular support at the right time, you may be able to manage better at home.

My Aged Care is the main entry point to Australia’s aged care system. My Aged Care provides information about aged care services, which can be found visiting the My Aged Care website at  or by telephoning the My Aged Care call centre on 1800 200 422.

The types of support provided by the Australian Government’s aged care programs are:

  1. Help in your own home:
  2. After hospital transition care
  3. Short term restorative care
  4. Residential care home (nursing home)

Do you need support at home?

My Aged Care can help you access subsidised services or financial assistance for services that support you at home  You may be eligible to receive services such as:

  • personal care, like help with getting dressed
  • transport
  • modifications to your home like rails or ramps
  • nursing, physiotherapy and other care
  • meals
  • household jobs like cleaning or gardening
  • equipment like walking frames
  • social activities.

Short-term help

My Aged Care can also help you access short-term care services for situations such as:

  • recovery from an accident or illness, including after a hospital stay
  • when you have had a setback and want to get your independence back
  • when you or your carer needs a break (respite care).

Care in an aged care home

If you find you need ongoing help with day-to-day tasks or health care, a residential aged care home lets you live in a supported environment where help is available 24 hours a day. Find out more about entering a residential care home (nursing home) here.

Find out if you are eligible for services

A call to My Aged Care can help you understand what services may be available, how much they cost and how you can access them. My Aged Care may arrange a face-to-face assessment of your care needs.

Who pays for services?

The Australian Government contributes to the cost of aged care services. You are expected to contribute to the cost if you can afford to. How much you pay may depends on your financial situation, the number and types of services you receive and the service provider.

How to access aged care services

Step 1: Call CCNB on 1800 002 262 – for free information and advice

CCNB offers free information advice about the best way to access the Government’s aged care system and My Aged Care.

Alternatively, you can contact the My Aged Care call centre directly on 1800 200 422. They will ask you questions over the phone to help work out your needs and care arrangements. You will need your Medicare card. If you’re calling for someone else, they will need to give their consent to the operator.

Step 2: Organise a face-to-face assessment

My Aged Care will arrange for a trained aged care assessor to come to your home. With your consent they will assess your care needs and eligibility for services and develop a support plan which addresses your needs, goals and preferences. Someone else can be with you during this visit.

Step 3: Find out about costs

Once you have had your assessment and you have a support plan, you are ready to contact a service provider to request services. But first you might want to find out about what it will cost you. For those who live within the Northern Sydney Region, a CCNB Care Navigator can help you choose your service provider and give you all the information you need about costs and arranging your supports.

Step 4: Choose the services you want

For those who live in the Northern Sydney region, a CCNB Care Navigator can help you choose your services. Alternatively, you can access the service finder on the My Aged Care website to locate and compare services in your area. Your assessor and My Aged Care can also help you find a service provider(s) in your local area that meets your needs.

Home Care Packages

For those who quality, the Australian Government’s offers Home Care Packages (funding subsidies) to help older Australians with complex care needs to live independently in their own homes.

To access a Home Care Package you will need to contact My Aged Care.

The Home Care Packages Program helps you live independently in your own home for as long as you can. The Australian Government provides a subsidy to an approved home care providers (like CCNB) towards a package of care, services and case management to meet your individual needs.

This video by My Aged care provides an overview of how Home Care Packages work.

Choosing your Home Care Package services

Once you have been allocated a Home Care Package by My Aged Care, you can choose a service provider (like CCNB) to manage your Home Care Package and home care services.

As of 27 February 2017, a number of changes have been introduced that will give you greater choice, control and flexibility in the way you receive home care services, and how those services are delivered.

If you are currently receiving home care package services, it will be easier to change providers if you move to live in another area or are looking for a better fit.

The changes also mean that if you choose to move to another provider, any unused money in your account – less any account fee – will go with you to your new home care provider.

To find out about CCNB’s Home Care Package services and low fees, go to

The important thing for you to know, is that you have flexibility and choice about who delivers your care. To hear some personal insights about Home Care Packages, watch this My Aged Care video:

Share:Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestPrint this pageEmail this to someone